Winter Lip Care 101
In winter, we lose plenty of moisture from our skin, and this is one condition, which is really impossible to avoid. The dry and cold wind conditions are such that it strips us of the natural moisture content that we generate, which makes it is essential for us to replenish the lost moisture externally. And lip care is just as essential as care for the rest of the body!
Why is lip care essential?
Most of us know that our facial skin is ten times thinner than the rest of the body and thus it contains oil glands for its protection. But the skin on our lips doesn’t contain oil glands at all. This is why during winters they become dry, crack and even bleed some times.
Hence it becomes very important for us to take proper care of it. Let us now understand the reasons as to why we have chapped lips.
The Reasons for Chapped Lips
1. During winter season, cold and dry conditions contribute to chapping of lips as the surroundings tend to strip our skin of its moisture.
2. The older you get, the higher are the chances for lips to dry.
3. Biting and licking lips is the worst habit we usually have, which adds to dry and bleeding lips.
4. Constantly touching our lips using our hands also leave behind bacteria, which then could aggravate chapped lips problem.
Protect Your Lips:
Follow the steps below to understand as to how you can take proper care of your lips.
1. The first step you should take to protect your lips is to hydrate them and nourish them well by drinking plenty of water. People usually drink more water in the summers compared to winters. But drinking the right amount of water in winters will also help you keep the dryness at bay. Water is the best way to keep your lips hydrated from the inside out.
2. It is quite a natural reaction to lick your lips when they are dry. But you have to leave this bad habit behind immediately, especially because once you wet them, the wind will dry it again and but obviously you will lick it again, and the process will never stop. This constant process will do major damage to your lips.
3. Cracked lips indicate that you have vitamin B2 deficiency. So make sure that your food contains enough vitamin B supplements.
4. For the winters, you have to select special lip balms with extra moisturizing agents. Find the best lip balms or chap sticks which provide more nourishment and have long staying power so that you lips can stay moist for longer. Carry it along with you always and apply on your lips whenever you feel that your lips are beginning to dry. It is better if your lip balm contains SPF in it. Choose lip balms with Jojoba oil, vitamin E and Shea Butter for the special season.
5. Now, if you have a habit of smoking, you have to quit! For it may be the main reason for your cracked and dry lips.
6. Exfoliate your lips with a good scrub or a small brush to remove the dead cells from time to time. Sugar is the one of the best scrub for lips, if you want to take care of them right from your kitchen itself. After scrubbing, simply apply a good lip balm for best results. This will definitely make them extra soft and shiny for longer.
7. If you have a habit of using lipstick regularly, then choose lipsticks with moisturizing ingredients. And never ever forget to remove it with a good makeup remover before going to bed followed by applying a good moisturizing lip balm.
8. Avoid using balms containing glycerin, petrochemical products, alcohol, menthol and retinol in winter. These are only good for the summers.
9. If your lips tend to become extremely dry, then try applying ghee or honey during nights before going to bed. It is the best way to clean and moisture our lips. This is also well known remedy for dark lips due to sun exposure.
10. Another popular old home remedy to cure dry chapped lips is to press a green tea bag against your lips for 3 to 4 minutes daily to increases moisture level in them naturally.